Stevie Nicks Hand Painted Pop Art Black & White Acrylic Portrait Painting

Name : “Stevie Nicks”
Size : 30cm x 40cm
Medium : Acrylic
Artist : E.J. Preston

Artwork status : Sold

Stevie Nicks was the first portrait I completed as part of my black and white pop art series. I had been a fan of Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac for many years so it was a pleasure to portray her in my own style.

The painting was also experimental as the paintings I had completed leading up to that were a black figure on a white background, however, for this I wanted to try and reverse to see if the impact would be as substantial. One of the interesting things I enjoy with all of the paintings I complete in this style is how simple shapes in isolation, for example an eye, will not make sense however when you see them in the context of the whole painting there is no doubt what they represent and the image magically emerges.

In terms of paint application, this painting required many layers of paint i.e. several of black to cover the white canvas and then several white layers to complete Stevie Nicks' face. White acrylic paint is fairly transparent  so it was always going to require significant layering to bury the black paint of the background.

As a fan of Stevie Nicks I was fond of this painting but it also introduced me to a new way of painting. There were also a couple of additional benefits : whilst this painting was for sale I was contacted and asked to complete a similar portrait for the singer Kylie Minogue which was also purchased. The final benefit was that once I had completed the painting I then had the pleasure of it sitting in my studio until it was sold !

My paintings can only be purchased via eBay and to see which ones are currently available, click here.

- E.J. Preston

Comments